For holiday gatherings, one of my favorite tools to use is a slow cooker. It’s the best way to free up the oven for other items on your menu. Plus, I love being able to “set it and forget it.”
The secret to this recipe is the smoked gouda. It not only adds a smokiness to the dish, but richness as well. Make sure to coat the inside the crock to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- 5 – 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced ¼ “ thick
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 3 Tbl. butter
- 3 Tbl. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz. smoked gouda, shredded
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
- 3 Tbl. parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Coat the interior of the slow cooker crock with cooking spray. Evenly layer the potatoes with the onions. Sprinkle each layer with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the butter is completely absorbed. Slowly add the milk and heat for 3 – 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Do not allow the sauce to boil. Remove from heat and add all three cheeses at once. Stir until the cheeses have melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes. Cook the mixture on high for 2 - 3 hours and then reduce the temperature to low. Cook for an additional hour, or until the potatoes have completely softened. Total cook time in the slow cooker will roughly be 4 - 4 1/2 hours. There should be no need to stir during cooking. Serves about 4 – 6 people as a side. The recipe can be easily doubled.