Ever since ravioli and sauce met that faithful moon-lit night in Italy some decades ago, they have rarely parted ways. Even after gaining celebrity status through a huge licensing agreement to feature their likeness on every Olive Garden menu across the country, their bond continued to remain strong.
Then came the moment when ravioli decided she needed to expand her friendship circle. Sure, she’s had a few good times with sauce, but it truly was time for her to expand her perspective on life. So she joined a spa and started to meet all kinds of fun veggies. Her favorites included carrot, celery and red bell pepper. She tried to get close to onion once, but he kept making her cry.
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 lb. raw chicken, medium diced
- ½ tsp. dry thyme
- ¼ tsp. dry sage
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbl. butter
- ½ cup onion, small diced
- 1 cup carrot, small diced
- 1 cup celery, small diced
- ¾ cup red bell pepper, medium diced
- 1 Tbl. garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ lb. frozen cheese ravioli
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot, over medium high heat. Add the chicken, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Sauté for 4 – 8 minutes, or until completely cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter to the pot. When the butter is completely melted, stir-in the onion, carrot, celery and red bell pepper. Cook the vegetables for 3 – 6 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Increase the temperature to medium high heat. Add the cooked chicken and chicken broth to the pot, and bring to a boil. Carefully stir-in the ravioli and peas to the boiling liquid. Simmer for 5 – 8 minutes, or until the ravioli is cooked through.