Sweet BBQ Meatballs

Sweet BBQ Meatballs

I live in Pittsburgh where the Steelers play. Having only lived in the city for a few months and not much of a football fan, I still find it humorous how much black and yellow gets spread across the city this time of year.

Brent and I were at the grocery store the other day picking up a few items for the week. We were waiting for the cashier to scan our small bounty of fresh vegetables, tender meats and select flavorfully frozen ice cream. Behind us were carts overflowing with buffalo chicken wings, bags of chips, tubs of dips and gallons of soda. Clearly people were stocking up for the big Super Bowl Game this weekend.

This is my idea of a simple and easy appetizer that will be a perfect addition to your Super Bowl Party. The recipe came from my friend Aimee. Her talents for flavor are not just limited to great appetizers.  She can shake a mean martini.  Who knows, maybe some of those delicious concoctions might find their way on here.

Sweet BBQ Meatballs

Prep Time
Cook Time
Total Time

Author:
Recipe Type: Appetizers
Serves: 60-64 meatballs
Ingredients
  • 1 (32 oz.) bag frozen meatballs
  • 1 (12 oz.) jar grape jelly
  • 1 (18 oz.) bottle spicy BBQ sauce
Instructions
  1. Pour the meatballs, grape jelly and BBQ sauce into a crock pot and stir until well combined.
  2. Cook the mixture on high for 2 – 2 ½ hours until completely cooked through. Serves about 60 – 64 bite-sized meatballs.
Author's Note
There are a ton of different types of meatballs in the grocery freezer section. I found bite-sized variety seem to work best for a party.

Comments

1. says

I’ve never tried this combination but I have seen it around the web for awhile now… it looks like I need to give it a try – they look delicious!

2. Beve Hill says

I’m going to a Christmas Eve party tonight. I search the web and came across your recipe. I’m so excited to make these sweet BBQ meatballs. My children tried them at our local Sam’s Wholesale store. They were SOOOO…. good. Based on the comments, I hope people will enjoy them at our party tonight.

3. Terry says

My boss made these meatballs for a potluck we had at my work place. She made a large crockpot full. They were one of the most popular items–maybe there were three left!

4. says

I learned quickly that these are a staple here in the South. I always get rave reviews however when they find out how simple it is, they normally go into a state of shock.

• edeweese says

who needs the superbowl to eat yummy meatballs?!! We are having them tonight for New Year’s!!!! (I make them and eat them whenever the mood stikes!!) ;)

5. says

My mom made these all the time in the 70’s. Im a chef at a French restaurant and I make these for staff sometimes. They think I’m a genius. I’ll never tell what the sauce is. :-)

6. Nathan Clapp says

You definitely need to give these a try if you haven’t already! Who knew something as simple as grape jelly could make the best meatballs on the planet? YUM YUM YUM! Just thinking about them is making my mouth water!

Love the pic!

7. says

I’ve made these before, and they are AMAZING! But I use hot pepper jelly and that kicks them up a notch!

Haven’t made them in a while – this weekend will be the perfect time to!

8. duodishes says

We’ve made these before, and people ate them like there would never be another meatball on the planet Earth. But we used chili sauce instead of BBQ sauce. Still really good!