Who says the flavors of pico de gallo have to be limited to a mere condiment? Summer tomatoes are still producing in large qualities this time of year, and I’m a huge fan of the tiny grape tomato varieties because of their sweetness and hearty texture.
I love the simplicity and versatility of this recipe. Feel free to add more jalapeño pepper if you are looking for more heat. Or consider include a bit of chilled sautéed corn or canned black beans to add bulk to the dish. Be sure to serve this at room temperature so you can take advantage tomatoes fresh flavor.
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbl. (1 medium) jalapeño pepper, deseeded & minced
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 3 Tbl. fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 2-3 Tbl. fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Toss the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.