Blueberry Shortcake

It’s barely September, and I’m already digging into my stash of frozen blueberries. Every year, here’s how the story goes. I pick blueberries with friends sometime around June or early July. Roughly 90% of the berries are immediately laid out onto trays, frozen, and then tucked away for winter. The other 10% are eaten in the car on the way home.

Last year, I rationed my stockpile of berries so well; I still had a bag or two when it was time to pick again this year. Well, I couldn’t help myself and broke into a bag like a kid eating Cheetos for the first time.

This recipe is quick and easy to make – perfect for a weekend get-together or a weeknight treat. I love the drama of the blueberry sauce dripping down the sides and mixing into a pool of melted ice cream around the plate – magical.

Blueberry Shortcake
Prep Time
Cook Time
Total Time
Recipe Type: Dessert
Serves: 4 people
  • 2 ¼ cup Bisquick mix
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 Tbl. butter, melted
Blueberry Sauce:
  • 2 cups blueberries, thawed
  • ¼ cup Agave nectar
  • 2 Tbl. fresh lemon juice

  • vanilla ice cream
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Stir the Bisquick mix and milk until it forms a ball. Dump the dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead twice, lightly sprinkle flour with each turn. Pat the dough into a 4” X 6” rectangle.
  2. Cut the dough into four even pieces. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake the biscuits at 415 degrees for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
  3. Brush the top of each biscuit with melted butter. Set aside until you’re ready to assemble.
Blueberry Sauce:
  1. Add the blueberries, Agave nectar and lemon juice to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes. Stir occasionally. Most of the blueberries will burst open.
  2. Remove the pan from the heat. With an immersion blender, pulse the berry mixture until smooth. Press the berry mixture through a fine meshed strainer into a small mixing bowl. Discard the pulp.
  1. Slice a biscuit in half, and place the bottom on a rimmed plate. Scoop two balls of vanilla ice cream on top of the biscuit. Repeat with the three other biscuits.
  2. Spoon half of the blueberry sauce on top of the ice cream. Place the top part of the biscuit on top of the now drizzled ice cream. Spoon the remaining sauce over the top of each biscuit. Serve immediately.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate this Recipe: